Creativity is truly a beautiful thing. People choose to showcase it in many ways: creating art, making music, so on and so forth. In the Victoria Park area of Downtown, there’s a place where you can find a hub of this sort of creativity – Cafe Koi!
Cafe Koi is a local restaurant and hangout for Calgary’s artistically inclined, serving healthy and delicious Asian-fusion cuisine and a packed calendar of open mic events in all shapes and sizes.
Here’s a list of all the awesome events they throw every month; if you’re an aspiring beginner or a practiced professional, there’s always a spot waiting for you!
Bring Your Own Vinyl
- Fridays (Varies Monthly) 8pm
- A music sharing throwback, run in an open mic format. For the aspiring and established DJ or general music junkie! Bring your records, any genre.
- First Monday of Every Month 8pm
- Classical Revolution Calgary is live chamber music, made up of a collective of passionate musicians. Both professionals and part-timers unite for a hosted jam session with one thing in mind, bringing chamber music to the people!
Downbeat: DJ Showcase
- Fridays (Varies Monthly) 8pm
- An evening of energizing vibes from local DJ talent to bring the week to a close and gear up for the weekend ahead. Nights include Galactic Funk, Techno Tao, and Subchakra’s Temple.
Expressions: Spoken Word
- Second Monday of the Month 8pm
- Hosted by passionate spoken word artists, Expressions is a spoken word night built around the fusion of music and poetry in a calm and humble setting.
- Last Monday of the Month 8pm
- Haven presents a night of live music in an open jam format. Come down and enjoy an evening of a large collection of musicians and vocalists performing their inspirational art.
Jazz ‘n’ More Open Mic
- Thursdays 8pm
- Hosted by Deanne Matley and friends, this evening has the same warm and welcoming environment as our singer-songwriter night with musical hosts to sing or accompany, varying from the piano, percussion, saxophone and more! You never know who might show up, so come down and enjoy an evening of soulful music.
Notorious Improv Comedy
- Second Saturday of the Month 8pm
- Freestyle Rap. Improv comedy. It doesn’t get any fresher than NOTORIOUS. Fast paced, in yo face comedy based entirely on audience suggestions. Featuring: Notorious Improv Group & Friends.
- Saturdays (Varies Monthly) 8pm
- This monthly event features two artists from the community, from singer-songwriters and jazz vocalists to hip hop performers. Artists are given the stage to perform or ‘showcase’ one hour of their original material!
Singer-Songwriter Open Mic
- Tuesdays 8pm
- Hosted by local musicians, this open mic is for both emerging and experienced singer/songwriters who are looking for a unique and welcoming venue to present their original material. Enjoy all sorts of genres and styles as some of Calgary’s most talented take the stage!
Take a peek at their website for more info – be sure to check out their full monthly calendar with numerous other special events!
Studying Public Relations at Mount Royal University, Alex spends his spare time snowboarding, scavenging for new music and attending events around the city.